Monday, December 16, 2013

Zappadan 2013 - Day 12



In his lyrics for We're Only in It for the Money, Zappa speaks as a voice for "the freaks—imaginative outsiders who didn't fit comfortably into any group", according to Allmusic writer Steve Huey.[7] Subsequently, the album satirizes hippie culture and left-wing politics, as well as targeting right-wing politics, describing both political sides as "prisoners of the same narrow-minded, superficial phoniness."[4][7][10]
Zappa later stated in 1978, "hippies were pretty stupid. [...] the people involved in [youth] processes [...] are very sensitive to criticism. They always take themselves too seriously. So anybody who impugns the process, whether it's a peace march or love beads or whatever it is – that person is the enemy and must be dealt with severely. So we came under a lot of criticism, because we dared to suggest that perhaps what was going on was really stupid."[2]
Other Zappadan links

1 comment:

  1. I've only posted a few Zappadan pieces this year...but I have a piece I never saw before which I am going to post tomorrow. Your Zappa quote really sums up the attitude that made him so interesting to me many years ago. I had long hair in Detroit in the 60's but Detroit was so much more a Freak Town than Hippyville. That outsider feeling has colored my life to this day. When I was 16, I was in a lousy rock band...well, a 16 year old rock band that played in a basement and occasionally a dance or party...my buddy was a guy named Jimmy Kazakos who at 16 looked like Frank Zappas younger twin. Same hair, nose, and facial hair...

    ReplyDelete